Wednesday 9 July 2014

Religion

I am neither a believer or a non-believer but I accept that there are millions of people who benefit and take comfort from religion, it would be easy for me to say they are fools as there is no God etc. but I am not willing nor have the right or knowledge whether this is true or not. On the subject of religion is schools my views are – we allow and even encourage a child to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy but people seem afraid to allow their children to have any religious knowledge. I have a child in school who has taken scripture but also is currently taking ethics classes. I do not see the benefit of denying him this right to the knowledge of either of these subjects. I have told I should let him decide for himself when he is older about religion but how could he if he has never been given the benefit. He is free to choose what he does or believes in when he is older. Although I am not sure of my feelings on religion and have views that they religion does have a lot to answer for but I would say this of religious people and things done in the name of religion and not religion itself – so to those who are afraid of religion and it coming into contact with your child I say if you listen hard enough you may learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.